- Education High School/GED
- Clinical License Status Unlicensed
- Location Denver, CO
- Number of Openings 1
- Compensation $15.75/hour
Title: Peer Support Specialist
Company: Colorado Mental Wellness Network
Location: Denver, CO
Schedule: 15-20 hours per week (M-F)
Compensation: $15.75/hour PLUS Generous Holiday Pay and PTO
This is a part-time position doing outreach, navigation and providing peer support in person and on the phone for at-risk individuals as part of Peer Pathways to Wellness program. For this position, a “Peer Support Specialist” is defined as an individual living in recovery from mental health, substance use and/or trauma conditions with at least 70 hours of Peer Support Specialist/Recovery Coach training. The Peer Support Specialist will function as a role model to peers; exhibit competency in personal recovery and use of coping skills; and serve as a peer advocate, providing information and peer support for people in various settings. The Peer Support Specialist will be an employee of CMWN and receive supervision from the Peer Support Specialist Supervisor and additional support from its Executive Director, Recovery Education Manager, Operations Manager and Program Coordinator. This is a grant-funded position and subject to continuation of the grant award.
- Perform targeted outreach in and around our partnership sites in Denver and other future locations identifying people in need of support.
- Receive referrals from staff and work with individuals to determine their needs.
- Assist in obtaining services that suit that individual’s support/recovery needs by providing names of staff, community resources, and groups that may be useful.
- Inform individuals about community and natural supports and how to use these in the recovery process.
- Connect individuals to appropriate social service agencies and/or enroll in benefits as needed [specific training will be provided].
- Lead peer support groups with support and guidance from a CMWN peer staff.
- Utilize tools such as the Wellness Recovery Action Plan® (WRAP®) to assist individuals in creating their own personal wellness and recovery plans.
- Support partnership sites and future location staff by de-escalating situations in which an individual is in distress and needs trauma-informed peer support interventions.
- Provide individuals with emergency supplies as needed (e.g., bus tickets, hygiene products, first aid items).
- Maintain a working knowledge of current trends and developments in the Peer Support Specialist field.
Administrative/ General Duties:
- Participate in regular supervision meetings with CMWN Peer Support Specialist Supervisor.
- Provide superior customer service and maintain a positive attitude when working in person or on the telephone.
- Provide documentation using CMWN data tool every time they meet with someone.
- Adhere to requirements and reporting needs of the grant.
- Other duties as assigned
Individual should possess a minimum of a high school diploma and/or GED and have good working knowledge of the social services industry. The candidate must have completed a Peer Support Specialist training with a minimum of 70 hours. The candidate must have lived experience with mental health, substance use and/or trauma conditions. The candidate must have an understanding of the recovery process and the ability to facilitate recovery using the Colorado Core Competencies for Peer Specialists, and have knowledge and skill to teach and engage in basic problem solving strategies to support individual clients in self-directed recovery. The candidate should have experience working with multiple stakeholders in the healthcare field and demonstrated ability to perform targeted community outreach. Must have a valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle, and willingness to travel within the Denver-metro area periodically. Must be computer proficient with knowledge of Microsoft Office software and possess strong organizational skills. A background check is required for this position, however, failure to pass a background check does not automatically exclude a candidate.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 40% of the time; other times able to stand or move around (approximately 60% of the time).
- Some work performed outside in the elements, must be willing to work – at times- in exposed conditions when conducting outreach.
- Use hands/fingers to operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Carry, lift, move equipment and supplies weighing up to 30 pounds.
If you are interested please send your resume, cover letter and three (3) references to Chad Spangler, Operations Manager at email@example.com (.) Please put Peer Support Specialist in the subject line.
Our client is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.
Empowered Partnerships, LLC is an agency that is 100% dedicated to recruiting and staffing in the Mental and Behavioral Health industry across the United States. We have a strong passion for the mental health industry, and we love hearing people’s hopes and dreams where we can help them achieve their career goals. We have a clear passion for mental health issues and are active in bringing awareness and advocacy to mental health needs.
We look for those who aim to provide quality care in a Behavioral Health & Mental Health environment. We look for you to be accountable for facilitating, communicating, and collaborating with both the healthcare team, the patient and their families to identify and meet the physical, and emotional needs of the patient.
Move your career in a positive direction to provide mental health support to your community. Start challenging your career today and apply now.